Fisherbrand™ Standard Dissecting Scissors
Use these scissors for a variety of applications. Fisherbrand™ Standard Dissecting Scissors are forged from surgical-grade stainless steel. Available in multiple styles.
Epredia™ Shandon™ Straight Blunt/Sharp Dissecting Scissors, premium, 6.5 in. (16.5cm)
Epredia™ Shandon Straight Blunt/Sharp Dissecting Scissors are available in Premium and Standard grades.
Fisherbrand™ Sharp-Pointed Dissecting Scissors
Use these scissors for a variety of fine dissection. Perfect for educational, scientific or healthcare application. Fisherbrand™ Sharp-Pointed Dissecting Scissors are finely finished, and highly polished. Made from forged from surgical-grade stainless steel. Available in multiple styles.
Fisherbrand™ High Precision Dissecting Micro Scissors
Fisherbrand Dissecting Micro Scissors are powered by an automatic, spring-action mechanism which allow for ease and comfort of use for high precision applications.
Fisherbrand™ Heavy-Duty Long-Blade Scissors
Fisherbrand Heavy-Duty Long-Blade Scissors for cutting corrugated cardboard, thick twine, and heavy fabrics with minimum efforts
Fisherbrand™ Straight-Blade Operating Scissors
Use these scissors for a variety of applications. Fisherbrand™ Straight-Blade Operating Scissors are forged from surgical-grade stainless steel.
Fisherbrand™ Heavy-Duty Short-Blade Scissors
Fisherbrand Heavy-Duty Short-Blade Scissors have reinforced clip-point for cutting heavy fabric and paper
Epredia™ Shandon™ Straight Blunt/Blunt Dissecting Scissors, standard, 6.5 in. (16.5cm)
Epredia™ Shandon Straight Blunt/Blunt Dissecting Scissors are available in Premium and Standard grades.
Fisherbrand™ Mayo Dissecting Scissors
Use these scissors for a variety of dissection applications. Perfect for educational, scientific or healthcare application. Fisherbrand™ Mayo Dissecting Scissors are forged from surgical-grade stainless steel. Available in multiple styles.
Fisherbrand™ Heavy-Duty Long-Handle Scissors
Fisherbrand Heavy-Duty Long-Handle Scissors for cutting cardboard light metals
Fisherbrand™ Doyen Abdominal Scissors
Fisherbrand Doyen Abdominal Scissors are forged from surgical-grade stainless steel. Available in multiple styles.
Fisherbrand™ Liston Bone Cutting Shears
For cutting bone and cartilage. Fisherbrand™ Bone Cutting Forceps are designed with heavy, strong, very sharp blades to cut through the toughest of bone.
Fisherbrand™ Utility Cutter Short Angled-Blade Scissors
Fisherbrand Utility Cutter Short Angled-Blade Scissors cut paper, bandages, vacuum tubing, leather and wire up to 24-gauge steel.
Fisherbrand™ Universal Scissors with Footplate
Fisherbrand Universal Scissors with Footplate can cut almost anything from bandage to 24-gauge steel.
Scissors are used in the laboratory to cut various materials. Some are for general use and others are designed specifically for tissue dissection or surgery.
Scissors are hand-operated tools that consist of a pair of metal blades with handles. The blades pivot to bring the sharpened edges in contact with each other, an action that cuts the material placed between the blades.
Scissors are selected based on specific features:
- Size or length: Blade length is key, as is the overall length of the scissors
- Shank-to-blade ratio: The length of the handles compared to the length of the cutting blade; the ratio helps determine the force needed to product a cut
- Type of handles: Straight, offset
- Material: Stainless steel is typically used for surgical scissors; some surgical scissors also have tungsten carbide cutting surfaces for hardness and durability
- Tips: Blade ends may be pointed, semi-blunt, or blunt (rounded)
- Blade shape: Straight, curved, or angled (bent); curved or angled blades may provide better access to areas with limited space
Many surgical scissors can be used by both right- and left-handed people. Scissors specifically designed for left-handed users are also available.
Types of Lab Scissors
- General purpose: Used to cut paper, foil, cloth, and other thinner materials
- Utility scissors or shears: Used to cut cardboard, wire and other heavier materials
- Dissection or iris scissors: Small scissors with very short, sharp blades
- Operating or Mayo scissors: Usually have one sharp and one blunt blade